This recipe is actually the first page in my recipe collection notebook – it’s the drink that officially tells me summer is here.
What could be better or more refreshing than fruit soaked in alcohol?
I suppose that is why the name Sangria means “heaven” in Spanish.
Oh wait… no, it actually means “blood” – because of its color. Eww. Okay, that’s just gross.
It may not mean heaven, but that’s what I equate it to.
For me, it’s all about the fruit – so this adaption is heavy on the fruit.
Do it the way you prefer, but perfecting this drink and bringing it with you to BBQ’s will keep you invited time and again.
Whether or not they like me is still to be determined.
Whether they like my Sangria? They don’t; they LOVE it.
Grab yourself some ice cubes, a pool floatie, and fill up a cup while you bask in the sunshine – Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup brandy or rum
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 (750 milliliter) bottle dry red wine, Spanish preferred
- 1/2 cup peach schnapps
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1 can ginger ale or 7up
- 1 peach, cubed
- 1/2 cup pineapple pieces, canned or fresh
- 1/2 cup grapes
- 1 apple, cut into cubes
- After slicing fruit, save some for garnishing (lemons and oranges).
- Mix all ingredients except for the soda in a large pitcher and let them chill overnight in the fridge.
- Before serving, add the soda and cut additional fruit slices to use for a rim garnish.
- Depending on your personal preference you can use either rum or brandy. I prefer peach schnapps to triple sec, but you can use either or both.
- My favorite part is eating the fruit, so I prefer to add a lot. If you want this to be more of a drink, omit some of the fruit. The critical fruit for flavor is the lemon, lime, and orange.
- Changes: I omitted the sugar and the maraschino cherries from the original recipe, and added a lot more fruit and subbed out peach schnapps for triple sec.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 225Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 19mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 3gSugar 31gProtein 1g
This nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although alteredrecipe.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.