I don’t know why I am surprised every time I make this that it tastes as good as it does. I guess it’s because it’s pretty easy to put together, so it’s almost like the math doesn’t add up on how it is so packed with massive flavor.
And you know what, there are some mysteries of life I will just be okay with never understanding.
It may be the flavor from the cans of chilies mixed with the chicken bone broth, but the taste of this soup is SUPER rich and has a slight tanginess to it as well.
My husband never really likes too much cilantro, he thinks it tastes like soap (I don’t really get that, personally though) – so I halved the amount of cilantro from the original.
I like to add a few extra spices as well – my choices are oregano, cumin, and smoked paprika.
To serve, my favorite options are corn chips, cheese, and sour cream. I would do avocado but my husband is allergic to it.
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken - diced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion
- 1 jalepeno pepper, seeds removed & chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 4oz cans hatch green chilies
- 1 7oz can diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- 2 15oz cans hominy, drained
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Garnish options: sliced avocado, corn chips, cheese, sour cream
- Season chicken with thyme and salt and pepper and cook over medium heat in a pan until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Set to the side & cut up into pieces.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat and add onion, jalapeno, garlic, then cook until soft - 4 minutes or so.
- Transfer to a blender and add chilies, cilantro, and puree until smooth
- Return to saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes
- Add broth, hominy, spices & chicken and cover & simmer for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with whichever toppings you prefer.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 697Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 112mgSodium 1707mgCarbohydrates 57gFiber 12gSugar 13gProtein 52g
This nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although alteredrecipe.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.